Thought leaders are created through persistent leaning into critical issues with a distinct point of view and expertise. Here are our guidelines for positioning yourself as a thought leader using blogging and social media:
- Build your personal or institutional reputation as a thought leader in your core expertise.
- Create a readership that engages with your passion for your expertise by delivering insightful, practical, dependable and valuable content.
- Curate and manage your personal profiles on your organization’s website, your personal LinkedIn account, and other social channels.
- Grow and cultivate your personal network comprised of practitioners, peers, collaborators and perhaps most importantly influencers.
- Speak to practitioners, peers, collaborators and influencers.
- Lead the believers in your cause. Persuade the receptive. Ignore the rest.
- Think of the keyword or phrase you would like your blog post to be ranked for.
- Search Google to see who else appears on page 1 of Google for that phrase.
- Tie content to a single keyword or phrase.
Content with a Point-of-View
- Write about research, studies, best practices, and policy issues.
- Quote other authoritative peers and aspirational brands. They lend you credibility.
- Provide authoritative perspective on your expertise and related topics.
- Risk yourself. Lean into controversy.
- Share lessons learned.
- Where possible, tie it back to the institutional offerings.
- Be positive, real, helpful, accessible, insightful, professional and knowledgeable.
- Avoid jargon.
- Democratize knowledge (think TED talks).
- Communicate effectively and efficiently.
- Limit the length of blog post to less than 500 words.
- Build topic authority by creating a series of small blog posts instead of packing everything into a long one.
- Encourage questions and comments on the blog.
- Share your blog on your personal social networks as well as on your organization’s official social media channels.
- Respond to comments on the blog and social media.
- Measure the number of shares and likes.
- Measure blog post views with Google Analytics.
- Monitor Google rankings for your keyword or phrase.
I welcome you to share your guidelines with us.
Wishing you a great journey ahead.